Sunday, April 29, 2012

just let me

I am part of an online writing workshop. This is my first submission for the first assignment, "time."

Time, to me, is like a pendulum. Most of the time I live in the moment of now. Where the pendulum is at its lowest point, heavy and working towards the next push of forward or backward. My head is down and I am taking it all in. Experiencing the day, imprinting it in my memory.

Then there are the moments where I am thrust into the future. There is a rush and suddenly I am experiencing all the stress and worry and excitement of what is to come. I take in the view from on high, when for a brief time I am suspended in the air, trying to see what will be. It is a breathless feeling, both exhilarating and terrifying, like the point of a roller coaster ride before you fall. Then I do and I am falling back into now and I am working and I am heavy and the day goes on.

Amidst the heaviness of the day something reminds me of what used to be and I am pulled backward into the past. Yanked up into a memory, and the feelings of a memory. There is pain there. Pain because of things that were hard to live, and pain because of things that were lived and now I miss. Pain too, because some things were lived and loved so much it burns to try and carry that much love. There is joy, too. Joy and laughter in the lighter things I can remember. The view from here is a kaleidoscope, always mixed and turning. The constantly moving view always gives me new perspective to bring back down to the working hours, changing how I live them.

Then I am living them again. Storing all those imprinted moments to view in the backswing, to project on the upswing. The sun rises and sets and I swing, back and forth. Just like the pendulum.

3 comments:

  1. (I guess I could comment on the forum, but oh well)

    This is beautiful. I wish I was a "most of the time" person about living in the now but I don't think I am. I try to be. When I am in the now, it's intense and real and I remember it. I am usually caught in a state of the future. And it's usually the breathless feeling, more exhilarating than terrifying. But as that time gets closer and closer and the things I thought would happen don't, sometimes my now can be too sad. That is why I want to forget about the future sometimes. And sometimes I can.

    My psych teacher last semester said "depression is living in the past and anxiety is living in the future" interesting, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. things will happen. somehow, someday. but what a frustrating wait that must be.

      that is very interesting actually. makes total sense.

      (thanks for being one of the ONLY people to comment. I love your thoughts :)

      Delete